Sunday, February 08, 2009

"I'm a Real Boy!"


Hello, everyone! We are back safely from Moscow, and glad to report that everything went very well! Amara is a cutie, and the Logos fundraiser was a huge success! However, this post is about Hobbes-and the huge success he had last week!
I typically don't post about potty-training (even though we have 2 toddlers in our house!) but I thought that this was a big enough landmark to be post-worthy. I began potty-training Hobbes at about 18 mos, thinking I could do the 24-hour process. Like so many things in parenting, I was very wrong and very naive. The speed and success of potty-training often depends on the kid, and in our case (as I found out soon after) Hobbes has chronic constipation. I'll spare you the gory details, but suffice it to say, potty training (or at least part of it) has been an ongoing battle since the 18-month mark. It has been a learning and sanctifying process for all involved, and something that has been in my prayers daily! Hobbes was put on a laxative at about 20 months, and has to have it regularly. This has helped a lot, but he still wasn't willing to take the 'big-boy' steps to be done with potty training-that is until last week. We have told him since his 3rd birthday (back in July) that if he would (sorry!) poopoo in the potty, we would take him on a train ride. Although tempting, it has not come to fruition until I was at my mom's house. Hobbes finally faced his fears and won-and has been successful ever since! My Dad helped us celebrate by getting out his train set from childhood (seeing as there are no trains to ride in Moscow) and Uncle Seth set it up for him.
I cannot begin to express our thankfulness and excitement at moving onto the big boy phases of life! So, here is our big boy, enjoying Ampa's train!

1 comment:

Kathryn Church said...

Hip hip hooray for Hobbes!!!